Serving the communities of Patchogue, Blue Point and East Patchogue since 1934
Patchogue, NY 11772
In 1934, a small group of volunteer fireman from the Patchogue Fire Department formed a committee to start an ambulance company in Patchogue. At that time, the closest hospital was in Port Jefferson, and many of the sick or injured people died because the local general practitioners were not able to handle the severity of the cases or have the injured transported quickly and safely. The decision was made: to start an ambulance company. Patchogue was one of the first ambulance companies on Long Island, and boasts a long tradition of providing efficient and rapid emergency medical care to the residents of the community. In fact, Patchogue Ambulance traveled many miles in its first year, answering calls for help as far away as Bellport, Medford, Sayville, Oakdale and all towns in between.
As the years went by and other communities started their own squads, the response area was cut down to the fire districts of Patchogue Village, East Patchogue Protection District, and Blue Point. Our membership continued to grow, and some members even went to training at a hospital in New York City. The pride of anyone’s fleet would be a shiny new ambulance, complete with oxygen, splints, and a stretcher.
In the early 1970’s, new Federal and State laws were enacted that required new levels of training as well as different types of ambulances. Patchogue Ambulance took the lead by having members trained as Emergency Medical Technicians, requiring 100 hours of classroom time, accompanied by a rigorous practical and written exam. Gone was the old Cadillac, and in came our first modular ambulance. The new ambulance had many features necessary for aiding our patients: more room, a demand oxygen delivery system, compartments for first aid supplies, and yes, the OB kit for that occasional mother that just couldn’t wait to get to the hospital!
Perhaps the biggest change was the arrival of advanced life support. Our members were now the "eyes and hands" of the doctor, and were starting intravenous lines, tracing heart rhythms and administering life-saving drugs. This training takes an addition 150 hours of teaching, which must be recertified every three years. Truly, we have come a long way.
Today’s Patchogue Ambulance Company consists of members of many different levels of medical training answering approximately 2,400 calls per year, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. As our population ages and the numbers of residents grow, we can expect to increase this number on a yearly basis. The spirit of community involvement and participation is alive and well. The men and women that make up the Patchogue Ambulance look forward to the upcoming years in the hope that we can continue the tradition of being "Patchogue’s Finest".
However, there is much more to do. In a time when there is much scrutiny from the public, the media, and others, we must re-dedicate ourselves to the ideals that a few gentlemen sitting around a table in 1934 set out for us to follow: to answer every call for help with speed, efficiency, and the highest degree of professionalism: to calm the sick, to soothe the injured. In short: to make a difference.
336 West Main Street
Patchogue Ambulance Company